Available at the West Boise YMCA, CrossFit® is a fitness regimen developed by Greg Glassman over several decades (www.crossfit.com). CrossFit optimizes physical competence in each of 10 recognized fitness domains. They are Cardiovascular, and Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance and Accuracy. These are applied to challenging Workouts of the Day (WODs). All WOD can be modified and are appropriate for all fitness levels.
The community that spontaneously arises when people do these workouts together is a key component of why CrossFit is so effective. Harnessing the natural camaraderie, competition and fun of sport or game yields an intensity that cannot be matched by other means.
Using whiteboards as scoreboards, keeping accurate scores and records, running a clock, and precisely defining the rules and standards for performance, we not only motivate unprecedented output but derive both relative and absolute metrics at every workout.
While CrossFit challenges the world’s fittest, the program is designed for universal scalability, making it the perfect application for any committed individual, regardless of experience. We adjust load and intensity; we don’t change the program.
- Adult CrossFit is part of our FREE group exercise classes and is included with your YMCA membership. Classes of all levels are available daily. No need to register prior to participating. Must be 17 years or older.
- Treasure Valley Family YMCA CrossFit is offered at the West Y in a 2,850-square-foot studio.
- Our studio is staffed by certified CrossFit instructors and outfitted with all the equipment and space required for a complete CrossFit experience.
- If you are new to Cross Fit, try our CrossFit On-Ramp class. A 30-minute class designed to prepare the new/beginner CrossFit participant for a full CrossFit Workout.
- Coaches will help the new participant feel confident with the fundamentals of CrossFit training.
- Youth Fit group exercise classes are available for youth ages 5-10 and 11-16. Youth must register, and fees start at $35 for a 4-week session. In Youth Fit, younger kids ages 5-10 learn new skills, play games, and work out as a team. Older youth ages 11-16 focus on strength, agility, speed, lifting, and body weight exercises in the CrossFit Room. Registration is required.
About CrossFit for Active Older Adults
- The Y version of CrossFit training for the active older adult looking to maintain an active and fit lifestyle. This class follows the pattern of traditional CrossFit classes scaled to a level suitable for the active older participant.
- CrossFit for active older adults is offered at different times throughout the year. Please check the group exercise schedule or ask the front desk for more information.
- Full coverage athletic attire is required for all classes including closed-toe athletic shoes.
- Water bottle and towel are recommended.
For Cross Fit class schedules visit the front desk at the West Boise YMCA.