March 10, 2023 - March 12, 2023
16 years - 99 years
This course is for current lifeguards wanting to become certified as a YMCA Lifeguard.
Course is designed to provide the participants with the knowledge and skills needed to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. Participants will be certified in Basic Life Support, Basic First Aid for the Community and Emergency Oxygen Administration. The leadership competencies this course meets for the Leader Level are: Inclusion, Influence, Communication, Decision Making, and Emotional Maturity.
This course will include up to 8 hours of e-learning that needs to be completed before the start date of the class, and will also consist of pool and classroom portions.
To complete this class you must be able to complete the following prerequisites:
- Tread water for 2 minutes with no hands
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
Swim 50 yards of each of the following:
- Front crawl with the head up
- Breaststroke with the head up
- Elementary backstroke kick (breaststroke kick on the back) with hands on the chest
- Perform a feet first surface time in 8 to 10 feet of water (or maximum depth of training facility), then swim underwater for 15 feet
Participants will start in the water at the shallow end and perform the following:
- Sprint for approximately 60 feet and then perform an arm-over-arm surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water (or maximum depth of training facility)
- Pick up an object (diving ring) from the bottom of the pool, surface, and tread water for at least 1 minute with legs only, then replace the object back on the bottom of the pool where it was found.
- Surface and swim the remaining length to the end of the pool and hoist yourself out of the water without using a ladder or other assistance.
- Immediate begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 minute or 100 compressions, stand listen to instructions from instructor.