In accordance with Idaho Code Section 33-1625, the Treasure Valley Family YMCA has provided the information below for coaches, parents, and athletes. The Y encourages all coaches, parents, and athletes to educate themselves about the recognition and treatment of concussions.
Concussions aren’t all the same and can be difficult to recognize. Signs and symptoms may take hours or several days to appear, so it’s important to be aware of the symptoms athletes may experience. Additional resources are available from the CDC here.
- Blurred vision and/or slurred speech
- Sluggishness, confusion, or fogginess
- Inability to concentrate or noticeable memory loss
- Dizziness or balance problems
- Sensitivity to light and/or noise
- Obvious behavioral changes
Talk to your coach immediately if you observe or experience any of these symptoms and seek care from a healthcare professional. There can also be short-term and/or long-term side effects. Follow up with your physician during and after recovery to discuss the risks and benefits of continued participation in sports and to obtain written medical clearance to return to play. The form is available here.
Aquatic Facility Guidelines
- Please arrive with plenty of time to find parking, check-in at the front desk, and get to the pool deck in time for your reservation. The lifeguard desk will check all participants in.
- Members with reservations for the following hour will be permitted on deck 5 minutes prior to the start of the reservation. Please wait in the locker room until this time.
- Only swim equipment, a water bottle, and a towel are allowed on deck. Please leave all other belongings in a locker. We recommend putting your towel in a waterproof bag, as all belongings need to stay in a designated space by your lane.
- Please shower prior to leaving the locker rooms and getting in the pool. There is a shower on each pool deck available if you forget but we prefer that you use the showers in the locker rooms.
- When arriving on the pool deck, please check in at the lifeguard desk.
- Equipment such as kickboards pull buoys, barbells, and belts will be available for use.
- Please exit the pool and deck promptly when the lifeguards blow the long whistle at the top of each hour so that the next group can access the pool deck in a timely manner.
- The use of the starting blocks is not permitted at this time.
- All swimmers under the age of 18 must pass a swim test for a green ribbon.