- OUR Y
- OUR FOCUS
- BE INVOLVED
- NEWS & EVENTS
YMCA Christmas Run
Presented by Saint Alphonsus
Date: December 21, 2013
Course: 1 mi. Reindeer Dash, 2 mi. & 6 mi.
Reindeer Dash 10:00am
2 Mile & 6 Mile 10:15am
The YMCA Christmas Run started in 1983 to celebrate the holidays with the running and walking community of the Treasure Valley. Now, three decades later, the Christmas Run has become a tradition for many Idahoans. Many of our participants celebrate the holiday season as a family by running or walking together, and we encourage dressing up in festive holiday costumes. Singing Christmas carols is also welcome; after all, 'tis the season to be jolly!
The Christmas Run is a great way for members of the community to stay in shape during the often hectic holiday season, as well as participate in a fun fitness activity that supports a healthy lifestyle. Participants can choose to run or walk either a 6 mile or 2 mile course, or the new 1 mile Reindeer Dash all of which start outside the Downtown YMCA on Washington Street and finish outside Boise High School on Franklin Street.
Each participant receives a race shirt and jingle bell, and the first 2000 people to register will receive a pair of gloves donated by Bandanna Running and Walking and Saint Alphonsus. Hot soup from Whole Foods and bagels from Blue Sky Bagels will be accompanied by warm Christmas cheer at the finish line. Make this event a holiday tradition for your family and loved ones as well!
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA - If you are a cancer survivor or would like to honor a friend or loved one with cancer, join the Cancer Survivor Team at the YMCA Christmas Run. You can also add a donation to your race fee and it will go directly to help cancer survivor participates in our LIVESTRONG at the YMCA. Register on the Cancer Survivor Team here» Select team distance and enter Cancer Survivor Team and it will pop up for you.
Thank you to our sponsors:
For more information, please contact:
208 344 5502 ext. 295
Cancelations made 8 or more days prior to the race will receive a full refund. Cancelations made within 7 or less days prior to the race will receive a 50% refund minus a $5.00 processing fee. There are no race day refunds and no refunds after the race.
If you have any questions, please contact the Race Director at email@example.com.
We will do our best to accommodate any wheelchair or special needs competitors.
New This year - 1 Mile Reindeer Dash: This new distance is for anyone! Kids grab your family and start a new tradition.
2 Mile Run: This all flat course loops through the Boise's North End. Start for the 2 Mile race is the same as the 6 mile race.
Reindeer Dash 10:00am
2 mile & 6 mile 10:15am
6 Mile Run: This year’s route will start at Boise High, West on Washington. North on 15th , short course will then go East on Heron. Long course continues on 15th to East on Highland View Dr and South down 8th St. Both course come back together at 9th/Lemp, West on Lemp to 12th Street, South on 12th to Franklin, East on Franklin. The Finish Line will be located at Franklin St/10th St.
Packets will be availabe on Friday, December 20, 2013 from 3:00 -7:00pm at Boise High School Cafeteria, across the street from the Downtown YMCA. If you cannot make it on Friday, your race packet will be avaialbe on Saturday before the race, from 8:30 to 9:30am.
Come Meet Santa!
Santa will be at the race start from 9:00 to 10:00am. Bring your kids to see Santa and tell him what you want for Christmas!
Dress up as your favorite Christmas character, and win a prize! Finalists will be chosen in pre-race festivities. Awards will be given to the top individual and team costumes. Prizes can be claimed after the race.
Once again, we will have energetic and spirited cheerleaders along the course! Local school choirs and area performing groups will be approximately every mile along the course singing or playing Christmas Carols to help keep you in the Holiday spirit! If you are interested in having your choir join in the festivities, please contact the YMCA at 344-5502 ext 232 or Email the race director.
LIVESTRONG At the YMCA
If you are a cancer survivor or would like to honor a friend or loved one with cancer, join the Cancer Survivor Team at the YMCA Christmas Run. You can also add $5 to your race fee and it will go directly to help a cancer survivor participate in our LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program. This is a free physical activity program for cancer survivors, tailored to fit their specific needs and improve their quality of life before, during and after treatment.
Post Race Party
Join us after you are done gettin' your run on for HOT SOUP provided by WHOLE FOODS Market, coffee, cocoa, fruit, and fresh Blue Sky bagels.
Individuals (2 Mile & 6 Mile):
18 & older: $40
17 & younger: $35
Teams (2 Mile & 6 Mile):
18 & older: $35
17 & younger: $30
1 mile Reindeer Dash:
16 & under: $35
17 & older: $40
Registration includes a long sleeve race t-shirt and gloves. Gloves are limited and not guaranteed for late registrants.
Registration will be open until 30 minutes before the race starts.
Packet Pick-Up: Packets will be available on Friday December 20, 2013 from 3:00-7:00pm at the Boise High School Cafeteria, across the street from the Downtown YMCA. If you cannot make it on Friday, your race packets will be available on Saturday before the race, from 8:30 to 9:30am. You may not register at this time.
To ensure a smooth run event and a good time for everyone, we ask that you read and adhere to the following race instructions.
- Please stay to the right at all times possible on the course unless you are passing. Walkers, please allow room for faster participants to pass by not walking more than three people abreast
- Be sure to check your race tag to make certain all information is correct. Contact a race official to make appropriate changes prior to the start of the race
- The roads may be slick and footing may be hazardous, please use caution and slow down if needed. Staying to the right is recommended. Especially on 9th St. We will ask walkers to use the sidewalk as many of the faster 6 mile runners will be passing on 9th St.
- Pin your race number on the front of your body on the outside layer of clothing. Your race bib must be clearly visible at all times.
- Please position yourself at the starting line according to your running or walking ability. All competitive runners who are planning to run 8 min miles or faster should have the front area of the start line. NO DOGS, STROLLERS or YOUNG CHILDREN in the front line area. We will be policing the area to make sure with this large start we have the right people in front.
- All participants will receive timing chips this year. Results will be available in the finish area or online at ymcatvidaho.org.
- Go get your Soup!! Hot soup, coffee, bagels and other goodies will be served at the post race party. Food will be served outside, there will be seating and awards presented inside the cafeteria at Boise High.
- Awards will be presented as soon as the race officials have tallied results - usually around 11:15am. Awards will be presented in the Cafeteria area.
- The race will start with a hearty, “Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!” All walkers and runners will be asked to shout this out. After the “Ho, Ho, Ho,” you will start the race as you yell out “Merry Christmas”.
- Be sure to thank all the volunteers for a job well done as well as our sponsors.
- As we begin the Holiday Season, remember to demonstrate the four YMCA Character Values of CARING, HONESTY, RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY.
The YMCA will be VERY BUSY on the day of the run. No Race Parking in the Main Lots near the YMCA as we are reserving those for our members.
Parking has been arranged at area lots near the DT YMCA. Please take note of those on the map provided. We will post signs on those that are available or not available.
- The annual Christmas Costume Contest will be held prior to the Race on the Boise High Steps!
|2.5 Mile Run/Walk|
|10 & under||11-12||13-15||16-19|
|80 & up|
6.1 Mile Run
|10 & under||11-12||13-15||16-19|
|80 & up|
Overall Results »
We need volunteers!
Not racing but love to be part of the action? The YMCA would not be able to host this event without the help of great volunteers like you! Help is needed both on and off the course. If you would like to volunteer to help out with this fun event, please call Jack Ward at 344-5502 ext 270 or email at Jack.Ward@ymcatvidaho.org.